Friday, February 20, 2009

This is the Life

So, I'm just taking a minute to ponder on it, and I would say that I've got it pretty good. I have one of the most fantastic families in the world, all of them are doing well, and we pull together even more when we're having rough times. I often say, and hold to it, that my family is one of my greatest blessings in this life.

Things have been a little rough as of late, what with G'pa dying and G'ma having a hard time getting along without him for once since they've been married. My aunt has been doing much of the caregiving for them, with my mother helping a lot and their other sisters also pitching in here and there. I have always loved spending time at G'ma and G'pas house - from the time I was just little. I still love to visit and say "hi."

I have recently had the opportunity to help with caring for G'ma. I spend Friday afternoons or evenings with her. I thought at first that this would end up being hard on my schedule, but I was determined that I would help my mom and aunt in caring for Grams. I love her so much, I thought it would be great. Grams has her ups and downs, but in the few weeks I've been her "executive assistant" (as we've started calling it - NOT a babysitter), I have really come to love my time with her. It's a good exercise to go through happy memories with her to keep her mind off the pain of losing G'pa.

I find myself almost saying things he always said and I didn't realize it had rubbed off so much. More often than not, I sit down in a chair across the kitchen table from Grams or at her side in the living room and nearly say, "Oh, I don't believe it's worth it, do you?" Just the way G'pa always said it. Then, he'd suck food from between his teeth and say something else like, "well, I guess that will tie me over until I get something more substantial." Oh, how I love G'pa; we all do.

Anyway, I am really growing to love the time I spend with G'ma every Friday. I think she enjoys it too. Sometimes we don't do anything but have a meal together and watch a movie or TV together, but just being with her makes me cherish her more and more. I have always loved spending time with the elderly and think back to when I took care of a woman who was very fragile, but had a lot of spunk. Grams is spunky too, and I love to talk with her about boys and dating - she was a rip snorter in her day and "went with five of 'em at a time." I think she'd like to get me married off and I've come to open that can of worms when she begins to get into memories that will make her break down. It's OK to cry for the loss of a loved one, but I want Grams to continue to feel our love for her and feel that she is wanted. I love spending time with her more than I think she realizes.

If I had nothing else in this life, I would be rich beyond merit with my family by my side. Sometimes I forget about that, but I'm glad I have plenty of opportunities to be reminded of it. I love laughing with my family. There's not a time we're together that I don't laugh. . . . and yes, DC, I'm thinking of times when we find ourselves weeping at the dinner table because I said something and you heard - well - something else. :) Oh, how I love you guys!!!

1 comment:

Adams Family said...

cute post--thanks...i also agree that this family is the best (well i also love my side too :) thanks for the camera comment; we're going shopping tonight so i'll have to check yours our