Sunday, January 4, 2009

Treading On Thin Ice


I was able to take part in a fun adventure right in my back yard, so to speak. My friend's family and I went on a winter picnic New Year's Day. . . . on Utah Lake. Yes, I meant to say ON Utah Lake. We walked right on out into the middle of the frozen body of water and set up blankets and had fried chicken and hot chocolate.

I've even got some stunning pictures to prove it. They make the treck look a little sketchy when you realize the lake was cracking - right beneath our feet - but the big fissures you see had already frozen over again and the new cracks that happened right under our feet were so small, there was no risk of us falling through the ice. It makes for great stories, though!





Oh, it was really a fantastic adventure! There were a couple of small bouts of a complaining child, but overall it went quite well. I'm willing to bet there wasn't another family out picnic-ing on the lake that day. I think I shall do it again some time this season!


I call this "Sea of Silver Glass"









Doesn't this make you a little nervous? It was fine, believe me. The Ice was so thick, there wasn't a chance of us falling through unless we were stupid enough to walk on this lone and broken piece of ice.










This is one of my most favorite pictures from the trip. I also like the one above with the family spread out on the horizon with a fissure in the foreground. Oh, it was divine - the perfect day for a picnic!!

No comments: