Sunday, December 28, 2008

Resistance is NOT Futile

I have a confession to make: I nearly gave in today to the call to follow the path of least resistance. I had some discussions with family prior to making my decision and saved myself from sacrificing something I wanted now for what I really want in the long-run. What was the matter of such internal upheaval, you ask? To text or not to text; that was the question.

As my blog obviously states (and my DNJ reminded me), I am rather old fashioned. I have been fighting the rising tide of cell phones for some time, now. Having given in a couple years back to my parents' offer of a cell phone in lieu of no phone at all, my most recent resistance has been toward subscribing to a text messaging plan for that cell phone.

It broke my heart to find out that I have missed several activities with my friends recently because my phone has a text block on it to avoid paying for every text I receive on my text-less phone plan. I didn't even know I missed out on them until my friends asked me about my uncharacteristic non-response to their attempts to contact me (via text). I have since analyzed the pros and cons of paying for text messaging.

Reasons offered to me in favor of paying for a text messaging plan: 1) Everybody is doing it - it's standard communication for our generation; 2) You miss out on social events that send text notifications/invitations; 3) Easier casual communication among friends when a phone call is impractical; 4) Guys are more likely to text you than call you as follow-up to a fun date; and several more along similar lines.

While these may seem to be very convincing arguments for subscribing to text messaging, I wish to share with the world some rebuttal and some reasons why I have decided to continue to refuse to pay for a text messaging service.

1) "Everybody is doing it" has never been a valid reason to do anything. I have a nasty habit of thinking for myself and weighing the effect of changes to my current lifestyle. While I have a voice to use, I choose to exercise it in communicating with my fellow man. Not to mention I can still be reached by other standard modes of communication such as phone/voice message, in person, and via e-mail.

2) While missing social events with great people is rather lamentable, if it was really that important to someone that people come, it's wise to also use one of the other modes of communication or the old fashioned act of sending a paper invitation.

3) As for talking when phone calls are impractical: It's probably better social etiquette to wait until class is over and give me a call and tell me about the guy sitting next to you with a cliff hanging out his nose. It's also safer to devote your full attention to driving until you are parked to see if I can meet you for lunch today. There's not much that can't wait until you are in a position to call or come over. If you're prone to forget funny anecdotes, may I suggest some more old fashioned tools - notepad and pencil. I find that writing things down helps me remember better anyway.

4) Last on this list, but certainly not least: dating and texts. I hesitate to get started on this soap box, but I'll try to be brief. If a man is too intimidated to call me after we've been on a date I don't know that we should keep dating. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I also dream that the right man will have enough intestinal fortitude to speak to me openly face to face or at least over the phone (by voice); I dream of a man who pushes past his inward hesitation because, for us, talking to each other is worth the initial discomfort either of us may feel.

I want to make it clear that I have nothing against those who do use text messaging on any level. If it works for you, have at it. As for myself, for these reasons and others not herein discussed, I choose to remain text-less (at the risk of also potentially remaining dateless) until some other, more persuasive argument comes along which causes me to adjust my lifestyle a little closer to that of the current century. In the meantime, I'd appreciate a call or an e-mail or a visit; I'll try to do the same for you!

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Great rant! However, you could also host an event or two and invite your friends via one or two of your preferred methods to help reinforce the message that textless is not, by definition, completely out of the loop (even if they do consider it "loopy").

Jukebox said...

I agree. I'm actually hosting a "Peculiar People Day" party on January 10. I have posted the event on Facebook and I'll probably send e-invitations to some friends. There are also others I'll be sure to invite in person. We'll have a bit of a game night. :)