Monday, November 10, 2008

Where's a Crash Course When You Need One?

So, I've realized how far gone I've been with blogging. Oops. I'll fill you in quick!

Halloween was a blast and we had a fantastic party at my apartment with dancing and a disco ball downstairs and food and mingling on the main floor. We had home made root beer, compliments of yours truly, as well as rice crispy treats and apples with chocolate-caramel dipping sauce. We also had home made chili from my room mate's future borther-in-law. I spent forever making my costume, and I think it paid off. Lots of people complimented me, and they loved my Cheshire Cat Grin. That really made the outfit.

I'm actually a member of my ward now, and I'm just trying to connect up with the member of the Bishopric to get an interview for a calling. I don't have any idea what kind of callings are open - I hadn't ever thought that I might get a Stake calling. Yikes! We'll have to see and keep you posted.

Anyway, moving on to more pressing matters at hand. I have a few issues I'd like to resolve here in the very near future as my chariot is swinging low, so to speak. No, I'm not dying! It's just down to the wire with deadlines at work. I've been commissioned (more or less) to go to Canada to gather contracts from our offices up there. "As our only partial French-speaker" I was nominated to go to Montreal, and while I'm up there, my attorney wants me to go to Waterloo as well. I'll be up there for about a week, but I'm a little nervous as I've become a very "partial" French-speaker since the mission and I'm not sure of the fastest way to bring back my French speaking/understanding skills.

I've gone online to read up on the pronunciation and accent rules and such, but reading it and verbally communicating in French is very different. I've got 'til the third week in December to brush up on my French. And while I'm stoked about it, I have this terrible fear that I'll lose my Spanish in the transition. Ack!!! How are languages successfully compartmentalized within a person's brain so they aren't mixed up with each other beyond recognition?! This is an imponderable. I just don't have an answer for it. I'm happy I get to go - and speaking of happy to go. . . .

I'm going on vacation for Thanksgiving! I'm not getting out of the cold, but rather jumping out of the. . . . ice bucket into the polar bear club, if you will. I'm going to Alaska to visit my best friend, from the mission!! I'm so excited. Oh, it's JW. I've mentioned her before. She's like another sister to me. I haven't seen her for 3 years or so? It seems that's right. I miss her so much, and am really happy I get to go play with her for 10 days. We're going to go extreme sledding and have all kinds of fun! I have to get a winter coat, though, before I go. I'm going to layer, but it doesn't do you much good with just thermal underwear and a sweatshirt. lol

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Partial-French speaker!! Ha--they put a lot of presure on you, didn't they?? You should find somebody in your ward or on BYU campus that speaks French, and then have them quiz you to death. Or you could sneak into the MTC. There are so many options around there...

Jukebox said...

I think I'm gonna end up doing what I can on my own and speaking English while I'm at work. I'll take advantage of the off-time in the evenings, though to go out and be amongst the French language. . . . Hon, hon, hon (attempted Frenchman Laugh)!

Jukebox said...

So, I realized that it had only been two years - but what a long haul it has been!!