Monday, September 22, 2008

Coming Down. . . Or Up, As It Were

The weather today was fantastic. It started out a little chilly at 5:45am, and as the sun came closer to overcoming the Wasatch mountains, there were clouds looming on the opposite horizon. Storms were brewing and I loved it. It was so distracting to me. I needed a distraction this morning, though, after being pursued by a strange man into the building and up the stairwell. Today, I'm grateful for keypad locks on the doors at work. *Access Denied*

Anyway, as my eyes found a kind of electric attraction to the gathering storm out my window, I felt more and more desire to go sit in the gardens behind the neighboring office building. I would have loved to be in the elements this morning. It sprinkled some, but there wasn't enough moisture in my opinion. I suppose it would have made me more stir crazy to leave the office and walk about. Perhaps it's better that it didn't rain so hard. The sun came out, scattered the clouds and I lost interest in the vast, blue sky. There were a few somewhat interesting clouds left over, but they were quickly fading and I found my focus turning more to my work than to the great outdoors. At least I got a considerable amount of work done this afternoon, I guess. Today, I am grateful for the ability to progress.

My lead attorney and one of the assistants in the Legal Department are out of the office through Thursday. They're on a business trip with one of the CXO's. I'm working through the seed of envy that is creeping up within me. There are apparently tight fists around funding for trips and expenses and such, but for some reason there were allowed three people to fly to the South to obtain signatures from select public figures to finish a deal that needs to be closed. All I can say at this point is, "how many people does it take to garner a few signatures?" I won't say I think the answer is "three, if two of them are the Chief Operations Officer and Corporate Counsel." The kicker is that I have nothing against these people personally. I just have to work on the li'l "that's not fair" bug creeping around me at present. In the meantime, I'll just contact the Utah State Bar and see what their cheapest courses are for Contract instruction and if there are any being held within driving distance of where I work. That's the kind of trip the company pays for for me. Whoopee. At least I have a steady job with a few perks I really appreciate. Today, I am grateful for the blessing of steady work and income to provide for my needs - and more.

The storms today allowed me to feel like some of my internal feelings were expressed before countless people. Not one of the people within its grasp realized I was there in the storm. That's the beauty of finding connection with the elements. It's hard to explain plainly, but neither I nor the weather is controlling the other. We exist together and we are inseparable. I can't think of a place on Earth I might go where the weather would not somehow find me. The elements help me to rise above my current foibles and experience something more expansive that somehow blots out the false importance of these petty grievances. Today, I'm grateful for the intimacy of the weather.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Melanie! I found you through Trudy's blog, and I'm so happy I did. I've been wondering about how you were and what you've been up to in these years since high school ended. After all, you were one of the first people to befriend me that scary first day of 7th grade (English, first period, remember?), and you buoyed me up during all those complicated French classes. I love to hear you talk about the weather. I remember you proudly informing us that when you grew up you were going to be a meteorologist. You know, I can't watch the evening weather report without wondering if you're giving an evening report yourself somewhere. :) Anyway, so fun to find you! It sounds like you're going through a rough patch, and I hope things bandage themselves soon. I look forward to keeping up with you more!

-Lindsay (Nay) Anderson